The Workfare Income Supplement (WIS) Scheme was introduced in 2007 as a permanent feature of Singapore’s social security system. WIS supplements the income and CPF savings of older low-wage workers, while encouraging work and individual effort.
To qualify for WIS for work done in 2013, you must meet the following criteria:
– Be a Singapore citizen;
– Be aged 35 years and above as at 31 December 2013;
– Earn an average gross monthly income of not more than $1,900;
– Work at least two months in a three-month period;
– Be staying in a property with an annual value not exceeding $13,000, as assessed on 31 December 2012;
– Not own two or more properties; and
– If married,
(i) You and your spouse together must not own two or more properties; and
(ii) The assessable income of your spouse must not exceed $70,000 for Year of Assessment 2012
If you are an employee, you will be assessed for WIS automatically based on your monthly contributions. If you are a self-employed person, you will need to declare your 2013 Net Trade Income to CPF Board or IRAS and contribute to Medisave by 31 March 2014 to receive WIS on 1 May 2014.
FAQS ON WORKFARE INCOME SUPPLEMENT SCHEME (WIS) FOR BUDGET 2013
On WIS scheme
Hotline: 1800-222-6622 (Mondays to Fridays: 8am to 5.30pm)